- Independent Director of the Year
This award will recognize a non-executive chairman or lead director who has demonstrated a passion for advancing the principles of good governance. The honoree has the ability to objectively solve the most difficult boardroom challenges, as well as the proven experience to offer independent, sound guidance when the company faces hurdles and opportunities. The honoree effectively leads the board in its interactions with the CEO/management to create a collaborative culture.
This award will recognize an individual director or full board that has demonstrated exemplary leadership in overcoming a significant challenge in the boardroom. The award recipient will exemplify a well-constructed response to a major incident. Examples could include, but are not limited to, an unexpected CEO departure, proxy battle, cyber attack, reputational crisis, a customer crisis, or financial turnaround, among others. The individual director or full board may have executed a difficult decision in the face of differing opinions within the board or between the board and management.
Through the response, the award recipient sets an example for other boards to follow when faced with unforeseen challenges. Throughout the challenge, the company will have demonstrated uninterrupted business operations in the midst of an adverse or crisis situation.
- Greatest Impact On Corporate Boards
This award is open to boards, investors, regulators (past and current), and other corporate governance leaders. The award recipient’s actions will have significantly influenced how all public company boards think about an emerging issue.
Examples could include, but are not limited to:
- a board with exemplary board diversity initiative with transparent board refreshment efforts
- a board with exemplary ESG program implemented and communicated to shareholders
- a board that places high value on shareholder relations through demonstrated willingness to participate in meaningful, transparent dialogue with shareholders to work through shareholder engagement challenges
- an investor whose perspectives have had a recognizable impact on board behaviors and opinions
- a governance thought leader whose work has had a demonstrated positive impact on how boards approach a certain governance issue